I chose to go the Upcycling route and.... made it out of an old door and half of a closet folding door. To put this headboard on my DIY bed (If you would like to see how I did it, email me) followed these steps.
1. Drill two 5/8" hole into the back of your bed frame. I measured mine to be about one foot in from the edges.
2. Drill identical holes into 2x4s that have been cut to about 3'- 6".
3. Attach the 2x4s to the bed frame with 1/2" bolts, washers, and nuts. Like so...
4. Level your boards to make sure that they are straight.
5. Place your door across the top of your bed frame and the front of the 2x4s. Secure the door with 3" or longer screws.
6. Then use a spacer (I used a 1x4 for my spacer, just to create a gap between the two doors) to help hold the top door in place.
7. Use the same type of screw to attach the upper door to the front of the 2x4s.
8. Step back and look at your handy work!
Voila! I left some of the hardware on the doors, just to add a little bit of character to the frame and it blended into the room a little more that way. You know... So that it looks like this!
Sigh. I just can't stop looking at it. It looks great! Holds up great too! Don't worry, I'll be taking more pictures when it's actually light outside. Oh, and if you're looking for how much it costs, here's a break down.
Closet Door: $5.00
Old Door: $5.00
Bolts, Nuts, Washers: $3.00
Yes. $17.00. That's it. :) Thank you. Thank you very much.