Okay, so as you've seen in my Spare Room updates and DIY desk, I've painted a magnetic wall. Yep. Magnetic. It's pretty much amazing, but I decided to go through the steps of giving it a review. Soooo.... Here you go.
I used Rustoleum's Magnetic Primer for my magnet wall... And I had mixed feelings about it. I decided to make a list of Pro's and Con's to compare how I felt about it.
1. The paint is actually a primer. In other words you could paint another color over the top of it and it would still work. Yessiree, Bob. Amazing, I know.
2. It really works. Yep. The magnets stick... not guaranteed to hold anything up, though, unless you purchase the really super duper magnetic ones.
3. It works perfectly behind desks, beds, etc. Anywhere you'd like a magnet board. Boom! You got one.
1. Rustoleum products are usually pretty spectacular. This one... well, to a certain degree it left me disappointed. It wasn't as magnetic as I was led to believe and it took more work that I thought it would, especially for the $20 that I paid for it. I'd find a coupon or buy it online for cheaper if I were to buy it again.
2. It took 3 coats of this bad boy to get my wall semi-magnetic. That's a whole can. For just enough to stick a magnet on. Won't hold much up without a super-duper magnet. Which are pretty expensive.
3. This stuff seriously got everywhere. If you don't shake the can like every hour all the magnetic stuff sinks to the bottom and it gets really thick and hard to paint on without it splattering while you do it. Definitely make sure you get a paint stirrer. Ridiculous.
All in All: If I were to do this project again, I would probably apply 5 or 6 coats of the primer, stir it every half hour, cover the entire floor with plastic sheets, and most of all... Find a freakin' coupon. It's great once it's finished, and I didn't paint over mine so I don't know if it looses magnetic-icity when you do. I love the idea of having a magnetic wall behind my desk, but if it won't hold up paper... my use is pretty much gone. It'll hold up a single sheet, but I need it to hold up multiple. I'll just have to install a hook system or something. Haha.