The price for this one was way out of my budget, and this style is no longer available through Anthropologie. So I found several more options. West Elm has a similar style, in organic cotton, for a smaller price ($99), but it was still out of my budget.
I also found that Target carries a line called 'Kissing Pleat" for $70-$80 and Wal-Mart's Better Homes and Gardens line has a pleated comforter in-stores, or at least the one by me, for about $60-$80. While perusing the internet for my spoils, I remembered a friend of mine mentioning that she would make her own covers from two flat sheets sewn together. I started looking for cute sheets that would go with my existing bedroom decor... but never found any single sheets for under $20.
So, I went out on the town... Four stores and three hours later, I came home empty handed and frustrated. I had found no single flat sheets, only expensive sheet SETS, and I had no idea as to where I could go from there. It was back to the drawing board. I knew that I could find a way to make my own cover, but I just needed to rejuvenate. After a half-hour of searching the internet, I remembered my pin-tucked duvets that I had fallen in love with... and, silly me, I GOOGLED 'How to make your own pin-tucked duvet cover'. Cayenne and Carob was the blog that came up, with a page about making pin-tucked pillows. So, I figured I would try it... and may I say, it was a smashing success.
First, I went out and bought some PLAIN flat sheets from -GASP- Wal-Mart. I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, but when the going gets tough... buck up and go to the big W. There, I found two Navy blue flat sheets, queen size, for $11 each. Total cost: $23 with tax. It was a good start. I took the sheets home and started my quest. After washing the sheets, I spread the sheets out in my living room, as that's the only place big enough for me to work on a project such as this.
I then mapped out a grid for my pin-tucks. I roughly followed the fold lines, just because I'm a little lazy and wanted a more random look, using chalk to mark the places.
After that, I used the method shown on Cayenne's blog, which she borrowed from Martha Stewart Magazine, to tie the pin-tucks.*EDIT*
And as per request, here's a little update on the pin-tucking!
In this method, I used a sewing machine INSTEAD of doing it by hand. Mind you, you can still do it by hand, it just takes a little longer and is more likely to come out. So, pinch your sheet (hehe that sounded funny!) where you would like your pin-tuck to be.
I laid out all of mine and safety pinned them, just so it was easier to do them with the sewing machine.
Then twist it, like so, so when you sew it, it'll pucker itself into a gorgeous little kisser.
Then, sew the tip of the sheet, so it stays permanently twisted. The deeper into the sheet you sew it, the more it will pucker and the fluffier it will be. I bought a King size sheet the second time around, just so I could experiment with how deep my puckers would be.
It should come out looking like this.
Or this. I back-stitched mine quite a few times, just to make sure it was sturdy and wouldn't come out in the wash, as a few of my hand ones did on the last cover.
When you lay it flat, the sheet will look like this. Make sure that you like how it folds, if not, simply run it through the machine again and do it a little deeper.
Here's what it should look like as you start doing more of the pin-tucks. The closer the spacing, the more your sheet is going to pucker.
Here's what my second one looked like when it was almost done. Even laying down, it was pretty gorgeous!!
After completing my grid of pin-tucks, I pulled out my sewing machine sewed the two sheets together, leaving an opening at the bottom, so I could get my comforter inside it. I used a straight stitch, since I am a novice seamstress. Remember to sew the sheets facing in (So when you flip it inside out to put the comforter in, the finished side is on the outside). Made that mistake... and had to pull it apart and sew that side again. After sewing them together, I put it on my comforter... and VOILA! Finished product!
Total Time: 3 Hours Money Spent: $23
Second time around
Total time: 2 hours Money Spent: $12 (because I thrifted brand-new white flat sheets YAY!)